Thursday, April 22, 2010

Beach Bound!

OOOOh my goodness, it's been eons since I've written a real post. I don't know why. All I do is lay around all day and do nothing. Ha.

So, I figured I'd catch you up on what's been going on lately.

Out of nowhere, and I mean nowhere, the girls started sleeping 8-9 hours at night. They did this for about two weeks. Then, out of NOwhere nowhere, they started sleeping 10 hours. Then, out of NOWHERE, they started sleeping 10 hours and 45 minutes. And that's about where we're at now. We had been holding them off until about 8-8:30 at night, but they were having none of that. So, we started feeding them around 7-7:30 and they are OUT. And they sleep until 5-5:45 a.m. (Light from heaven shining down, angels singing...HALLELUJAH!) And by "out", I mean, they drink their entire bottles and we set them in their crib and they either are #1, already asleep or #2, awake and go to sleep on their own within 10-15 minutes. I couldn't ask for more perfect little sweeties. They are wonderful.

So, David and I feed them about 7 p.m. and we have the rest of the night to ourselves. It is fabulous. We'll eat supper together. We'll watch a House episode together. We'll play a game together. We'll take our showers. Ha, you thought I was gonna say "together" didn't you? You creepy perv. But, you'd be correct. Mreoow. Anyways. We usually go to bed at 9:30 p.m....because we're 85 years old. Actually, it's because we're exhausted. But I'm not complaining. We get up at 5:30-5:45 and feed those little monsters. David goes in to work. I do the laundry, clean house, pay bills, and start work at 7:30 a.m. The girls are usually wide awake and are SUPER VOCAL during this time. You saw the videos. It makes me laugh so hard. When they get grouchy vocal, I relocate them to the living room floor under their play mats or just on a palette and they watch TV. I can only listen to Baby Einstein/Mozart for so long, so eventually, they watch HGTV or Food Network. They love it. Which makes me so proud. My little home decorating foodies. They've recently developed this condition in which they fall asleep whilst playing or watching TV. All on their own. I'm in the zone, designing whatever, and I's quiet. A little TOO quiet. And I'll get up and peek around the corner and sho nuff, them babies be passed out. Three to four hours later, I feed them again. That's really the toughest part of my day. Every now and then, one will still be asleep or perfectly content playing and I'll grab the fussy one and feed them separately. But usually, they get hungry at the same time. It's like a timer goes off and only they can hear it. And by golly, if I don't fix their meal RIGHT's...well, it's not good. The twins grow razor sharp fangs and their eyes glow red and burn lasers into my soul and they jump on my neck and bite me. It's pretty scary. So, we have these chairs we got as a gift and I prop both of them up and I've got two hands, two babies, and two bottles...and we all just sit there. They eat. I wait. Sometimes it gets pretty hectic...pretty messy, but so far, we've all survived.

They really are the sweetest little babies. They play so well and sleep so well. I get my work done. I keep the house clean. I get to spend a few hours at night alone with Davey. I couldn't be happier.

Easter Sunday was the first time we've taken them to church. Anybody with kids knows how hard it is to take a kid, much less a baby, to church. It takes us about 2.5 hours to prepare to go to the pediatrician. I'm leery about nurseries. Ahh..I promise I'm not one of "those" people. I can't keep my kid away from germs forever. I know that. But given the fact that I've been told by doctors, nurses, friends, strangers, dogs that a church nursery is the most germ-infested place a baby can go, I'm kind of hesitant about it. I know they'll get sick at some point...I realize that. I'm not oblivious to it. However, at this point in our lives, it would be insane to have a sick baby...much less two at the same time. I mean, I would TOTALLY "deal with it" if one of them was sick...of course...but I'm saying, if I can avoid it, at least for now, I'm going to. As long as I can. And also, because it takes FOREVER to get them ready to go anywhere. You have to literally pack an entire store if you take your kids anywhere. Anyways. They were SO great in church. I was really nervous because my tiny little girls...well, they don't make tiny little girl noises. And I just KNEW that one of them was going to let something loose right in the middle of the pastor's sermon. You can't really call them burps and toots. They're the kind of noises that would put a grown man to shame. But thankfully, Harper timed hers perfectly right as we were singing a song, so it worked out.

We do Tummy Time (I hate saying that, but what else are you gonna call it...Belly Hour. Ab Activities. Gut Meditation) with the girls every day. And at 14 weeks, when we were at my parent's house, little Harper Mo rolled over! It surprised her as much as it did us. She's a rolling over fool now. Then, this past Monday, little Pipsqueak rolled over! Remember the whole mirror image twin theory...well, Harps rolls to her left and Pipes rolls to her right. I'm so proud of them. I guess they hated Tummy Ti-gag so much, they decided they'd better figure out a way to get out of it and fast.

We met up with Zack and Malinda on Sunday for the girls' first picnic. They seemed to enjoy it...considering they slept almost the whole time. And yes, those hats are toddler sun hats. My gals got some big ole heads. It's where they store their super smartness and ultra cuteness.

Judging by what my back tells me, I'm guessing the girls weigh about 37 pounds each now. We'll find out on Tuesday at their 4 month check-up.

Mom came up yesterday to stay with us the rest of the week and help me get the girls to their appointment on Tuesday. And we took the girls out in the stroller for a walk on the new trails. And they LOVED. IT. They usually hate it, so I don't know what made them change their minds. We walked for an hour. Now, I can normally walk for days. I love to go for walks. But Mom walks differently than me. And when I say "walk", I mean Mom walks at a normal pace for cardio and I scrounge up whatever energy and speed my legs can muster and try my best to keep up. Mom's inseam is 101". My inseam is 18.5". So, I burned like 1,029 calories trying to stay with her...while pushing two half ton babies. And she's like a drill sergeant..."Ruth! Faster! Come on, pokie! I've got snails sticking to me...even they can keep up with me." One of these days, I'm going to trip her. And look down at her and laugh. Mwaah ha haaa. When I got out of bed this morning, my legs gave way and I pooled into a puddle of jelly on the floor. That's when you know you got some good exercise.

So, gift of gifts...sweet Mom came up this week, like I said...just so I could leave tonight to go to the beach for the weekend with my gal pals. Oh sweet beach. Three whole mornings of sleeping until whenever I want. That's pretty much all I'm gonna do...sleep. I'll definitely miss the girls and David, but oh my gosh, I have been looking forward to this for four months. You don't really realize how much you need a break mentally. This will be the first time I've been away from them for more than 4 hours and you know what, I'm okay with it. :) It's going to be great. So, Mumsy and Davs and the twins. I know they'll do fabulous!

Alrighty, I gotta go pack...cuz I'z goin to tha beach!


  1. I am SOOOOOO jealous! A whole weekend at the beach! with girlfriends!
    Have fun! Lilli's almost a year now and I still haven't been blessed with an entire weekend away!

    ps the girls are growing so fast! I love seeing their sweet faces!


I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!