Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Adventures in Atlanta

On Friday, sweet Uncle Greg and Aunt Becky came up to keep the girls so David and I could have a little weekend getaway in the A-T-L. We frequently check the Fox Theatre's schedule to see what's coming up and when I saw Wicked was gonna be in town for a few weeks, you know I got us some seats. And I also got us a room (three months in advance) at one of our favorite hotels. We took our time getting there Friday evening and arrived aroundish 10:30 p.m. Atlanta time. We were tired. It had been a long week. I couldn't wait to snuggle up in our fluffy bed and sleeeeeeeeeeep. You may have seen in the Twitter feed on the right to which hotel I'm referring, but I won't go into a lot of detail about the incident that happened because they asked me to email them a formal statement and I'm waiting on their response, so I don't wanna be like, "They're so dumb." So, we'll see what they come back with. I'm a pretty easy-going person and I don't cause much of a fuss with stuff, but this definitely called for it.

But, it left us without a room for the night. Their fault, not ours. We, thankfully, found a room at the Holiday Inn International and were met with fabulous customer service, a very plush and comfy bed, and a great view. I sent them an email telling them so. Further from the Fox than we had originally planned, but only a mile away. We slept so well that night. In the morning, we ate at the restaurant in the hotel and went back to the room. We thought about going to the Aquarium or just walking around, but to be honest, all I wanted to do was sit in the quiet and rest and that's what we did. I mean, we didn't get back from breakfast until 11:30 a.m., so it's not like we just sat around for hours. David went to the gym and I took my time getting ready for the show.

Y'all...I can't even describe how amazing Wicked was. We've seen several shows at the Fox, including Les Miserables, but this one was my favorite so far. Les Mis was awesome, don't get me wrong, but...wow. Wicked. The actors were INCREDIBLE. Their voices were so pure and don't tell them this...I think better than the original cast. BLASPHEMY, I know. But the gals who played Elphaba and G(a)linda may have been better than Idina and Kristin. Actually, the lady who played Elphaba had played that role more times than any other actress, so she knew her stuff. The ONLY thing about the show that was...weird...was during the scene when E and G are entering the Emerald City, there's all these munchkins dancing around and welcoming them. But, then, these three HUGE things come out to "dance" and it's the. creepiest. thing. I've. ever. seen. They were like bald clowns with big noses and gigantic heads and big feet and no arms. And the people inside the costumes were, of course, moving them. At one point, their necks stretched way up and moved the heads. It was like a nightmare. Everyone in the audience gasped and people around me were like, "Oh...no...that's not right." Thankfully, that scene lasted a short time. But, the rest of the show...A+.

David didn't want to have his picture in front of the sign. I don't know why.

David asked if I wanted to take another taxi back to the hotel, but we decided to walk. It was only a mile and it was a BEAUTIFUL day. That was a fun stroll. I like all the old buildings downtown. I was wearing these super cute (y'all should see them) wedge sandals and I was doing so good until the last 100 yards. Blister attack. You wanna see?

When I took my sock off, it pulled the scab off and started bleeding.

I thought you might want to see the sock, too. I had other blisters, but they weren't as dramatic.

We got back to the hotel and chilled for a little bit before heading off to dinner. I might have been as excited about dinner as I was about the show. And yes, I wore the same thing. Shut it. Nobody there knew me.

Back in January, David surprised me with an Atlanta trip when we went to see Beauty and the Beast and he found this restaurant called Canoe. I loved it. I have officially declared it my favorite restaurant of all time. It is THE BEST food I've ever eaten. I was afraid it wouldn't live up to how good I remembered it being the first time...like, maybe I had hyped it up in my mind...but oh no, it surpassed my fond memories of its culinary expertise. We decided every time we come back to ATL, we have to eat there. Yeah, I'll try new places to eat, but once I find something I know I'll always be happy with, why shop around?

These pictures aren't that great. We were seated by the windows and the lighting was low, so everything is kind of blue or yellowish.

For appetizers, we got a warm cheese salad, some kind of corn soup, and a crab cake. There's really no point in trying to tell you how "amazing and delicious and surreal and other-worldy" this food is. I mean, it's indescribable.

David got a pheasant something. It had a little croquet...kind of like a pheasant pot pie. I kept saying "peasant" and David kept reminding me, "This isn't a cannibalistic establishment."

I got braised short ribs on a bed of something. I can't remember. It was great.

For dessert, David got a blueberry cobbler with lemon curd ice cream. Oooooooh....

And I got my chocolate grotto. There's nothing I can really say about this. It's...it makes me so happy.

Oh, and their bread! You think, ah, bread is bread. NO. This is like crack bread.

At the end of the meal, I had discreetly unbuttoned my drawers and held my purse in front of me as we walked out. You know in the movie Seven, with Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow? And Kevin Spacey is killing those people using the seven deadly sins. And he makes that one guy literally eat until he dies...he's the Glutton sin. And I kept thinking, "There is no way you could do that." But, this weekend I discovered it's possible. I ate 1 million pounds of food. And it was worth it.

Although I hated the weekend being over, we were glad to see the girly gals. Piper Lee's fever virus subsided and then Harper got it. So, she's the sicko this week. Ready for this to get out of our house.

Thank you, Uncle Greg and Aunt Becky!! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. You've done more cool things in ATL than I have, and I live here. And you've been to Canoe -- I so want to go to there! And you got a whole weekend away...!!

    Ok, ending my pity party (I almost wrote "pitty party" what's that? Makes me think of "Aunt Pitty Pat's Porch"). ANYWAY, we're going to the Aquarium in a week! They have this cool thing called Mommy and Me tickets where if you go on a weekday, you and up to 4 children under 5 can get in WITH PARKING for only $30. That's like such a steal for us cash-strapped suburbanites. You have to search the site, but it's good through like December.

    ReplyDelete

I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!