Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Six Months

Yesterday, Mom and I loaded up the twinners and headed to see Dr. Reminds for their 6-month check-up. I think they read my blog yesterday, because we only waited maybe 20 minutes before he came in. Well, first, Overly Friendly Nurse came in and weighed the girls. I was a tad off with my guesstimation of their weight.

Piper Lee
Weight - 18 lbs. 1 oz. (80%)
Length - 27" (90%)
Head - 17.75" (97%)

Harper
Weight - 18 lbs. 11 oz. (90%)
Length - 27.75" (97%)
Head - 17.5" (90%)

So much for premature twins. I was told that twins were almost always born underweight just because they're usually born early and because there's not enough room to grow. And then, of course, premature babies are usually born smaller. So, silly me had this grand idea of how their first year would be. "We'll be able to use their car seats for a long time and not have to buy bigger ones for awhile." "We'll be able to keep them in the same crib for a year probably." "I should totally buy these adorable preemie onesies because we'll definitely need them." Yeah, we donated those to the NICU the day after they were born. The twins never saw the preemie onesies.

But, I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't care if I had to knock down a wall so they could fit through...I have healthy, happy, thriving giants and I am so thankful for that. (And thankful they didn't go full term.)

Dr. Reminds told us that a baby's weight and height doesn't necessarily have a correlation with their adult weight and height. (If it did, then my cousin Jacob would be 7' 2" right now...but instead, he's so sweet and teeny tiny, you could just carry him around in your pocket. Little cutie pie Jakey.) So, although the girls are huge right now, they could stop growing at 10 years old, so who knows how big they'll be. I was a HUGE baby. You should have seen my legs. I was born at 8 lbs. 3.5 oz. I went through my baby book to see how much I weighed when I was 6 months old to compare it to the twins. And they've already surpassed my weight. They were born smaller, but have caught up to and passed my weight. But still, I was pretty big, and I stopped growing when I was about 11...at my formidable 5' 3" status. So, we could have Amazons, we could have Hobbits. We'll see. Right now, they're linebackers.

He asked how much they were eating at each "meal" and I said "Well, when we give them solids, they have 2 oz. of food and 6 oz. of a bottle. Then, if it's just a bottle meal, they want about 8-9 oz." and he laughed and I said, "Is that too much?" And he said, "Oh, heavens no. I'm laughing because they're premature (airquotes). Feed them as much as they want. You can't feed a baby too much right now. They'll tell you when they're done eating...if they want more, give it to them." And then he added, "You're doing a great job. They're doing wonderfully." *BEAM* Gold star for Ruth. Yay! It was one of those I knew I was doing the right thing, but it's nice to have confirmation from an expert moments. But I was just so happy to hear how good the girls were developing.

They have the best little personalities. They smile and laugh ALL the time. They're so sweet. They love being held and just looking up at you and touching your face. They love to put their hands all in my hair. They love to talk and talk and squeal and screech. I can barely change their diapers, they move around so much. They are never still. Oh gosh, I love them. They're so awesome.

Piper Lee talked the entire time. We would have to stop for her to finish her rant so we could hear what each other was saying. She's super sassy. She does not get that from me...seeing as how I'm a little lamb.

Dr. Reminds said we could start them on stage 2 foods. I'm thinking, "I wonder if shrimp gumbo is a stage 2 food." He said if we were having dinner and what we were eating looked like the same consistency as a stage 2 food, we could give it to them. Like, mashed potatoes, for instance. So, now I'm trying to figure out the best way to blend up Lucky Charms, bagels and cream cheese, and Toblerone bars so these gals can share in the goodness.

Harper was MESMERIZED with the paper on the exam table. I think I know what Santa is bringing this little girl for Christmas. Ha, what if that's really what I got my kid...some medical paper. Maybe if it had a print on it...like stars or trees or something.

I LOVE PAPER!!!!!!!!

Hey, what's going on? Paper? What paper?
I WANT SOME, TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

On a scale of 1-5, Doctor, I'm feeling a little 2ish today.

Hey, Pipes. What's goin' on?
Waiting for my shots.
Yep. Shots. Wait, what?

The quickest way to get a laugh from PL.

Who's that pretty girl in that mirror there?

Hey Harps...how's it going?
Meh. Bored.
But this pacifier sure looks delicious.
Nom nom nom fried chicken and collard greens.

Sup.

Hello, Jacques the Peacock.

I was going to get pictures of the tray of shots that Shot Nurse brought, but she was like rush rush rush let's hurt the babies, so I didn't have a chance. Oh, I hate shots. It's the most pitiful thing. They're laying there so happy, so trusting and then OUCH...heeeey, what was that foraaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...it's awful. But I know it's what's best for them. And they don't remember it soon after anyways. But still. I don't have to like it.

Post shot pictures.

I not so happy now.
Tylenol sleep.

Mom and I went to a fab little burger joint afterwards. I haven't had a hamburger in I don't know how long, so this sucker was amazing.

Tropical salsa and chips.

Mom had sweet potato fries...blegh. I took this picture for you, Beth.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Ruth. I can now go on with my day! BTW - the girls are adorable in case you didn't know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy sweet potato fries! And I'm right with you on the shots. Carter's checkup last week was the worst! He cried and cried, poor baby!
    How cute are those girls! Sweet little things! They've grown up so much since March. I've got to see them soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha the happy scale. Emily always says she's the happy face when they ask her. Stomach bug...happy face...fell off the monkey bars...happy face... What's funny is that the nurses actually put in her record that her pain is a zero (happy face). I'm like, whatever, yall seriously need to invest in some happy scale research 'cause it ain't workin'.

    ReplyDelete

I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!