Thursday, December 10, 2009

House Re-Do

I'm finally getting around to posting these. Still no nursery pictures yet, but this is everything else we did in the house. We decided no new countertops when the quote came back about the cost of a yacht...and it's not like we have miles of countertop to cover. I was thinking, "Gosh, was the granite inlaid with gold and diamonds??" Ridonk. We're still getting the hardwoods, just not right now. The quote was awwwwweeeessssooommmee and we were very happy with it. However, we decided a better investment would be a fence for the Seumas dog. He's a cool kid, but he loves being outside and with two new hairless pets coming, we figured everyone might be a little happier if Shamburgers had a place of his own to run around. So, floors on hold for now.

The master bedroom and bathroom are the only rooms we didn't do anything to.

These pictures aren't amazing or anything. I wish I had gotten before and after shots from the same place. Oh well. We'll have to deal.

Guest Bathroom
The only thing we did in here was add the storage thing above the toilet. Does anybody else think it's fun to pronounce that "twah-lay"? That's just plain fun. The girls came with a lot of bath stuff and we needed the extra storage.

BEFORE
AFTER

Guest Bedroom
Painted the walls. Still a little leery about the blue. The swatch made it look a little more silvery greeny blue and when Noah and I painted it, I was like ACK! TOO BLUE! But, I think the pictures toned it down some. It's growing on me. All of the pictures on the wall are black and whites of some of mine and David's tropical vacations. I got the frames at yard sales and painted them all white. Got new bedding...thank you, TJ Maxx. Moved David's computer and recording stuff in. Found a fabulous mirror at an antique store. The Bahamas and St. Thomas car tags on the keyboard are going up on the wall above, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

BEFORE
AFTER

Breakfast Nook
Because I refused to give up a guest bedroom and because we never actually used the breakfast nook, it became my office. The old office is now the nursery. Painted the walls. Moved the furniture around. Got some new furniture for my desk and storage. Got a paper lamp for $10...thank you Dirt Cheap. Got some antique shutters (off to the left of the picture)...that's the original color...very similar to the wall color. So, I welcome any color suggestions. And placed a kitty in the center of the floor for ambiance. That little green roll-y chair is where I'm sitting right now.

BEFORE
AFTER

Dining Room
When we first moved in, I wanted a red dining room. Well, this girl I used to work with years ago told me that if you paint a room a dark color, you need to use a glossy finish because it "helps the light bounce off the walls." Well, stupid me believed her. And...while I was okay with the color...that high gloss finish haunted me for 4 years. It had to go. Only flat finish for me. So, we painted the walls. Got a canvas storage thing in there. Moved the desk that was in the guest bedroom and converted it to a china cabinet. I took out the cabinet door panels and replaced them with chicken wire. Added new, funky knobs. And put in some tile to cutie it up. The ironing board used to be in the breakfast nook. My grandmother worked for an entire summer picking cotton when she was a teenager to pay for it. Please excuse the baby items in the corner.

BEFORE
AFTER

Living Room
The room I wanted to paint the most. But with 15-foot ceilings and angles of every size and temperament, it just would be an ORDEAL to do. We painted the TV cabinet. Moved out the love seat and got the two recliners. Replaced the chicken coop coffee table with three movable wicker ottomans. I think that's about all we did, actually.

BEFORE
AFTER

Aaaaaaand DONE. I'll show you the nursery next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!