Friday, December 5, 2008

Football = Whatever

Oh my gosh, Ruth! Are you gonna watch the game tomorrow?! 

Uhm, no, I don't care. 

Ruth, it's like the most anticipated football game EVER in the history of the world...universe even. 

Oh, I'm sorry, I guess you didn't hear me...I have better things to do. 

Ruuuuuuthiiiieeeeeee! Why are you weird? Why do you not like football? Are you a human being? Are you not from the South...or America? Are you feeling okay?

Oh...gosh, you're right. Why do I not like football?! Something is wrong with me!! Oh, no, wait...I don't care. 


Okay okay, I'm exaggerating a little bit...like always. I'm excited that Alabama has made it this far and I mean, hey, they're doing good and nobody knew they would be this good this year and I'm proud of them and I'm proud of the school. However, I will not be watching the game tomorrow nor will I be checking in with folks who are watching the game every 20 minutes. Football is yay, football. To me, it's kind of like...hmmm...okay. I really am not concerned with it.

In our group of friends, David and I are the football outcasts. Neither of us grew up in heavily football-saturated families. Yeah, my dad is a Bama fan, as is his side of the family. And my mom is an Auburn fan, as is her side of the family. We went to MC and bless their hearts, they weren't that good of a football team and I think we went to maybe 3 games voluntarily. The other 7 or so games we went to were because we were in the band our freshman year. Tee hee! Me in the marching band. What was I thinking? That still makes me laugh. I think if maybe we went to a more football-friendly school, we'd be more into it. David got accepted into Alabama School of Law (changed his mind later), so we might have been bigger fans, but alas, we're not. 

I have learned a lot about football this past year...doesn't make me care about it anymore...but at least I'm not the doof in the corner asking "what's a safety?" I don't know...it's just hard for me to sit in front of the TV for hours on end watching men in tights run around. I'd much rather be outside or be painting or shopping or doing something active. (Now, I will admit that watching a game in person is a LOT more entertaining than the TV.) And I do realize that it's important to some people and they enjoy it just like I enjoy baking, so I mean, I'm not saying it's a silly thing to do. I'm just saying, I ain't gonna be doing it. 

The reason I went off on this rant is because I just spent the last 28 minutes talking to a co-worker about the game tomorrow. He is dressed head-to-toe in football apparel...hat, t-shirt, sweater, socks, shoes...yes, shoes. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, but if you get caught in a football conversation with him, prepare to be there for awhile. He walks up and lifts up his sweater and I'm like, "hey, whoa, pal...whatcha showin me?" He wanted me to see his new t-shirt his dad got him that advertises the game tomorrow. Then, I get a 26 minute lesson about SEC, BCS (is that right?) and SCBSCEIFABC123 scoring and how the rankings and polls work. So, now, if I'm ever on Football Jeorpardy, I am set. 

Anyways...like I said, I'm not saying football is silly at all. I know it's an important part of American tradition and hurrah, but it's really boring to me. Also, I hope none of you go and burn my house down after reading this. I heart football. I really do. Go team go! 

All that to say...ROLL TIDE!!

6 comments:

  1. I. Am. With. You. 100%.

    Football = Nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with ya on this one. Guess what Ryan and I did during the AL/AU game.... shopped! We were in Bham and we thought, "Hey... at least Target and Best Buy won't be packed... let's go!" So, you're not alone. I'm not saying it's silly or dumb, it's just not something I'm passionate about either. And neither is Ryan...

    Hope all is great with ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so wonderful to hear someone who is not completely crazy about football. i mean...seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm you are not the football outcasts because we could care less too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be a commie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way. I can not even explain to you how obsessed my husband is about football. ALL DAY on Sundays we/he watches football...I could care less!

    ReplyDelete

I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!