Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tacky Christmas

I love tacky Christmas sweaters...I love tacky Christmas sweater parties. Our friends, Tris and Eric had one this weekend and David and I went in all our tacky glory. It was such a good time. I had gone to Salvation Army to look through their sweater collection because I just knew I would find one for me with detachable ornaments and jingle bells around the neck. Alas, I could not find one. I found about 13 Halloween sweaters that were wonderful, but it's Christmas, so... I just grabbed the grossest sweater I could find and decided I'd "Christmas" it up when I got home. Then, I went and looked through the men's section to find David the perfect costume...and I did. It was awful in its wreathed splendor, so I grabbed it. I was in a hurry, so I quickly paid and headed out the doh (yes, doh). It wasn't until I got home that I noticed something special about David's sweater. Yeah, it had a wreath on it and it wasn't particularly manly, but there was still something different about it. It had pearls all over it...and florets...and gold threading...and shoulder pads...shoulder pads?? Gross, it was a woman's sweater! Well, I wasn't gonna return it because it was just too awesome, so I waited until he got home and gave him a big bear hug and smooch and said "How was your day? Did the audit go well? The sweater I got you for the party is actually a woman's sweater. How is Clint's son? Is he feeling better? Did you get those papers --"  

"What?! What did you say?"

"I said, 'Is Clint's son feeling better?'"

"Nooooo...that's not what I meant and you know it." 

"Ugh. Fine. The sweater I picked up for you at the store might be a woman's sweater. But it was totally in the men's section!"

"Might be?! It has make-up around the neck!"

Well, I assured him it was an honest mistake and when I reminded him that it was a tacky Christmas sweater party and the dumber you looked the better, he relented. But he said I had to make it up to him. So, after washing the sweaters about 31 times, we played some Smash Brothers. (I let him win...like always.) 

I decided to go all out and do some tacky hair and make-up, too. I had to say that because I was afraid people would think I normally did my hair like that. I don't. Just saying. It was for the party. It took me longer to make my hair look that ridiculous than it does to fix it in the morning for work. I wore some awesome earrings that belonged to my great-grandmother and a brooch from like, forever ago. 

Tris and Eric, two of the most incredible photographers I've ever known, took pictures of everybody at the party. Here are mine and David's. This is my "Ruth face." People want me to do the "Ruth face" and here it is. I don't know what it is...I don't know where it came from...it's just...my face. Obviously, David was thrilled with his choice of apparel. What a trooper! Tee hee! Love you, Hugsy. 


3 comments:

  1. ah, hahahahahahahaa... you... hahahahhaha, your........ohhhh, i just hahahahhaha can't ahhahahaha get the words hahahahahaha out.....hahahahahhahaha.... your face! hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa your hair! hahahahahahaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you making fun of your dad and me? why did you take our sweaters out of the closet and wear them to a tacky christmas sweater party? we are sooooo hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. never have i seen a man more excited to wear a christmas sweater. no, seriously.

    ReplyDelete

I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!