Thursday, December 18, 2008

Work

As I sit here contemplating that this is my last day of work in an office...ever...I muse over the jobs I've had that have led me here. I've had a lot. Not because I'm a job jumper, but because a better opportunity presented itself. I haven't loved all of my jobs, but I've definitely learned something from each of them and some of my favorite memories come from those places. 

When I was 15 - 17,  I worked at my Dad's office as a medical records transcriptionist. I love to say that...it's totally a fancy way of saying I typed up his dictation, filled out the patients' medical report for their visit, and occasionally took some blood pressures, weight and temperatures. It's absolutely amazing to me how many articles of clothing people will take off just to weigh a pound less. I was like, "you realize it's illegal to remove any more clothing than that. I don't want to have to have you arrested, and I will if you take that off." Also, kids are scared of anything! I would walk into the room and they'd start crying. I'm like, "Kid, I'm here to take your temperature." 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" 

"Look, it won't each touch you. I'm gonna scan your forehead."(That was a really neat device...kinda Star Trekky)

"MOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!"

They acted like I had a chainsaw in my hand. ha...that would've been kinda funny actually...

Anyways. It was a good job and I am very appreciative to have had it. 

In college, I worked as an Resident Assistant my senior year. It was wonderful. I got a dorm room all to myself and I got paid to let girls into their rooms when they locked themselves out. I was supposed to charge them $5, but I never did. Shhhhhhh, don't tell. Who doesn't lock themselves out...I mean, come on! And I worked in the administrative office for one hour every two weeks as part of the RA deal. Man, that was an easy job. David and I also worked as lifeguards for two summers during college at a Christian retreat center nearby. That was a lot of fun. I love bossing people around. No running! No diving in the shallow end! No throwing golf balls into the pool! No breathing! haa, just kidding, kids. You can breathe. 

After college, I worked as the graphic designer for a large church here in town for a year. It was interesting working "behind the scenes" for a church. I learned a lot and I loved my friends there, but I definitely did not miss the dress code. 

After the church, I worked as a designer for a direct mail company for a year and a half. The office was about 7 minutes from my house....which was awwweeessssoooommmmmeeeee. The dress code was waaaay more my style and the people there were super great. I took with me some of the most incredible friendships and I was definitely sad to leave. 

But, an opportunity to work with a large magazine production company came along and I couldn't not see what that was all about. The company produced several magazines, including Cooking with Paula Deen, and I designed all of the ads for the magazines and directed the photo shoots that went along with them. I also cloned out Paula's neck fat and made sure her face was as porcelain and her eyes as blue as possible. It was a great experience, but gyaaaah...the environment was so completely different than anything I've ever been a part of. We had to dress up super nice, which, as you know, is NOT an easy thing for me. I have to sit with my feet in my chair or swirl around while I'm thinking or manipulate my legs into bending into ridiculous positions so I can brainstorm. And I can't do that in a business suit. I DON'T DO BUSINESS SUITS. Why would anybody think designers can function in business suits? That's just nonsense. I don't know what they were smoking, but I was dying a little more every day. I was gonna tough it out, but the Lord sent a ray of hope one morning when I got a phone call from a hiring agency. They had my resume from three years previously when I was first looking for a job and they said they had a position they thought I might be interested in. When he told me the name of the company, I was like "SHUT UP!" And the guy was like, "Excuse me?" I quickly recovered and told him I'd wanted to work with this place for like...well, forever. So, I interviewed and got the job (praise the Lord!). I was with the magazine place for a grand total of....three months. 

Therefore, my next job was working as a designer with a Christian camp/Bible study/missions organization. Sigh. I loved that job. Best. Job. Ever. I loved every single day. Even if I had a "bad" day, it was wonderful in comparison to the best day at my business suit job. I never ever ever thought I'd leave there, but lo and behold, I got an email from the owner of a Christian marketing company asking if I'd be interested in the Creative Director position. After considering it for about four months, I accepted. It was such a tough decision, but to have that experience was worth it to me. 

And that's where I am now. I've been here for four months...yeah, a long time, I know. I've had a really good time here and met some cool folks and it's in a neato part of town with cute boutique stores and fun restaurants, which David and our bank account were thrilled about.
But, I've been doing freelance work for about 7 years now and the Lord has blessed me with some incredible clients...and because of them, I was able to start my own design company (Bogue and Weejer, Inc.) and will be working full-time from home in January. It's always been my dream to work from home and I am sososososososososososo thankful. 

Oh, I forgot to mention my other jobs...I've had them for forever...ha, how could I forget these...
Super Wife, Super Housecleaner, Adoptive Mom to Seumas the dog and Blue the cat, World's Most Cool _________ (fill in blank), Empress Extraordinaire, Free Haircutter, Champion Balderdasher and Tabooer, Rock Star, and Chocolate Expertess. 

1 comment:

I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!