Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Nicknames

So, most everybody has a nickname, right? It's always been funny to me to find out how a person's nickname came about. Some are pretty self-explanatory and relatively normal...like Ruthie for me. Some are not so normal...like, Slett, for my brother, Peter. Nicknames are supposed to be a shortened version of your name or a term of endearment. A lot of times nicknames come from a person's habits or "faults"...like the nickname my friends call me..."Oh Awesome One." I can't help it - it's not my fault I was born awesome. But I've noticed that the majority of nicknames I call people or have heard people called are completely far-fetched and ridiculous, which makes them all the more fun.

I'm pretty sure I got the nickname bug from my grandfather (see "Who Are Bogue and Weejer" post). He started off calling everyone is his life by a nickname. I mean, it was years before I realized my grandmother's name was Daphne, not Snuff. When I first met David, I thought his name was Joe. I don't know why. Doesn't sound anything like David. Well, when we started dating, I called him Joe Bear...which morphed into Puddin' Bear...which morphed into Hugsy Bear (after Hugsy, my bedtime penguin pal from Friends)...which morphed into just Hugsy...then just Zee (from the ending sound of "Hugsy")...then Zipper...then Zip. Then, he started calling me Zap. So, we call each other Zip and Zap. Has nothing to do with our names at all.

I call my Mom Mumsy. I call my Dad Dad, so no nickname there. My mom calls my Dad Papsy or Paps or Specialer (don't ask). Sara and I used to call Noah Boogeretta when he was a baby. That turned into Booger and now we just call him Boog. Mom calls Noah Hoop...from his middle name Harper...she would call him Hooper and then Hoop the Scoop and then just Hoop. I call Peter Wep or Weppers. His nickname in Bulgaria was Pepe...which I turned into Wep. My grandfather gave Peter the nickname Luis Ledbetter...which turned into Slett...because when you say Luis Ledbetter fast enough, it merges the words...Luisledbetter...then Sluis...then Slett. Mom calls Peter Stir. First it was Pep, then Pepster, then Stir. Sara and I call each other Skank. Awesome nickname, I know. We try not to do it in public because people don't realize it's endearing and not a cut-down. Sometimes I call Sara Skankface...she answers to both. Sara's middle name is VanNuys...which Mom turned into Vamooser and now Mom just calls Sara Mooser. When Noah was a baby, he couldn't say Ruthie...so, he said Woosie and then Soofie...so, they call me Soof at home. David's nickname in my family is Elvis. One time, almost 10 years ago, David sent me a recording he had done and he was singing and Noah comes up and says, "he sounds like Elvis" and Mom thought it was hilarious and she and the rest of my family have called him that ever since. So, all of our Christmas presents are labeled...Specialer, Mooser, Soof, Elvis, Hoop and Stir.

I do love nicknames and I love people's real names...it's just fun to call them something ridiculous. Here is a list of a few nicknames for my friends:

Blue the Cat = Blueshky/Bluebird/Shmrrgrrrs/Shmear/Shmeow Shmeow/Shmitty Shmat
Seumas the Dog = Monster/Shluppy/Ruppy Rog/Shamtar/Shammers
Brandi = Brandar
Shane = Shanedar
Tris = Trissers
Eric = Erica
Tris & Eric's unborn child = Chappie/Chappita
Ryan = Little Ryan
Chris = Little Chris
Melissa = MelBel/Lissa/Lissers
Melanie = Shmoop/Shmee/Moop
Graham = Graham Cracker (that one's easy)
Erin = Rrrrn
Mike = Shmike
Malinda = Linder/Linder Pants
Amber = Ber/Little Ber/Arbs
Zack = Shmack
Tiffany = Tip/Tippers
Beth = Beffff/Bethers
Billy = Kaniggit
Beth and Billy's unborn child = McNugget
Other Melissa = Missy
Abigail = Abbs
Audry = Odd
Whitney = Shwit
Cousin Drew = Droopy Drawers/Droops
Cousin Jake = Jakkers
Amy = Ames
Glenda = G
Ashley = Shlayfer
Kelly = Kells/The Google Queen
Other Ashley = Ashey/Hoshley

I generally stick close to their names and I'll add "Sh" or "Shm" or "Little" or "ers" and that's pretty much it.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy. My name is Sara Mooser (after marriage). It's truly amazing how one name gets turned into another!

    ReplyDelete

I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!