Tuesday, November 3, 2009

27 Week Check-Up

Well, yesterday, me, the twinners, Mom and David all headed to the doctor and I had an ultrasound and my (stupid) glucose test. We wake up at 6:00 am, get ready and head out. My appointment was at 8 am, but since I live in a suburb, getting downtown during rush hour traffic is like trying to pull a baby hippopotamus' teeth while his mom is watching...just a horrible experience, and you don't want to do it. I could only eat two egg whites and a piece of toast that morning. When we got to the office, I drank the freezing cold glucose Sunkist syrup concoction (basically, pure sugar in a cup)...which really was not all that bad. I could have had another glass, but whatevs. Then, we head to the ultrasound room so we could see the gals. Yay!

I'm laying there on the table, covered in goo, and Nurse starts measuring the gals' noggins and tummies and femurs and whatnot and I start feeling kind of funny. I try to fight it, but the darkness starts settling over my eyes...the stars are so pretty. I say, "I'm getting a little bit dizzy." And she, David and my mom help roll me over to my left side and David fans me for a little bit. I start feeling better and I roll back over...but nope, happens again. So, I lay for a little bit longer on my side and close my eyes. Mom's yelling at me to "Open your eyes! Open your eyes!" I just kept thinking...I want to sleep...I just want to go to sleep. Nurse explained that one of the girls was directly over the vein or whatever that carries blood to my brain and that, mixed with the fact that all I had to eat so far was toast, egg whites and my cup o' sugar, was kind of taking its toll on me. But, after some awesome fanning from Davey, she lifted my head up on the table and we finished the ultrasound that way. And it was fabulous.

So, my little pregnancy book and my email updates have told me that this past week, my baby should weigh almost 2 pounds. They're assuming that for one baby. So, I'm thinking...well, twins are usually underweight a little bit, so I figured they'd be about 1 pound and some change. Nurse says, "Alrighty...these girls are measuring about a week and some days ahead of schedule for one baby, so that's great. That means they're healthy and big." Basically, I will be having two Tonka trucks. One is 2 pounds 10 ounces and the other is 2 pounds 13 ounces. She said even identical twins are rarely born the same size. I said, "Okay." Baby A (on the left) is still feet down, but Baby B is head down and closest to the bottom...so, now, she's technically Baby A. It's so complicated...I'm just like...you just tell me that they're fine and that's all the info I need.

It's AMAZING how clear ultrasounds are nowadays. We opted not to get the 4D ultrasound because #1. You had to pay extra and I'm like...shoot, I could buy them 5 pairs of shoes with that money and #2. Dr. Mac said the babies rarely come out looking like their 4D ultrasound and #3. I'd rather be surprised. But, how about it was sooo clear yesterday and one of them gave us a great shot of her face. So squishy and perfect. Ah, I'm eaten up with it. We saw their hands (poised like a little claw...it was hilarious), their feet...you can see the tarsals and all their little toes, their little fannies (still girls, yay!!!!), their precious heads...complete with a ton of hair. How crazy is that...you can see hair on their heads. God is amazing. On one of the profile shots, you could see her moving her lips and sucking and swallowing and then she opened her mouth said, "Hey guys." It was so sweet. Then, she turned towards us and she had the most PERFECT LIPS EVER. Her nose was too cute and round! I love it! Her eyes were closed, but you could see her whole face for a split second. Anyways...both of their rears are in each others faces, but they don't seem to mind. I could just go on and on and on about how perfect they are, but I won't be one of those people.....yet. :)

After the ultrasound, I went and got my finger pricked for the blood test...and I FAILED. Ugh, I was so mad. Stupid sugar. It was high, but not super high. So, they took me back to Dracul-Nurse and she drew 4 vials of my blood. They said the finger test was not as accurate as the regular blood test, so they'd test it again and call with the results today. I have to be below 140. I was at 150 on the finger test...stupid sugar. So, PRAY that I pass this one, because the next glucose test takes three hours and I wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything from midnight the night before until noon that day. Which...that sounds ridiculous to me and I don't plan on that happening. I ain't got time for that. And then, if I fail that one...it's super restrictive (lame) diet and/or daily insulin shots...Oh, Wilford...stay away from me. Dracul-Nurse said it was very common to fail the finger prick, but not the real blood test, so I'm hoping. I will let you know...I mean...it's coming up on Thanksgiving and Christmas...I have to eat sweets. The girls need it. They told me.

After that, we met with a new doctor (because I have to rotate through them) and he was funny. He measured my belly and I am 27 weeks and 5 days...but I am measuring at 37 weeks. Awesome. Probably because there are two small planets residing in my innards. But, no bed rest! Hoodley hoo!

We grabbed lunch immediately afterwards because I was having trouble seeing straight. Mom headed home and I was sad to see her go. Being babied has made me super homesick (and hormonal). I do cry at random stuff and I'll look at David and say, "I don't know why I'm crying" and it's pretty funny and we'll laugh...but it being the Fall combined with my parents being 3 hours away and just being super sentimental about everything now...sigh. So, I'm very grateful for the times that I do get to see them and visit.

Anyways...sorry for the lack of ultrasound pictures and video...I will post them tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Ruth. I'm glad to hear that the twins are doing so well. They will be here before you know it. I know y'all are excited, and I can only imagine how Aunt Sandra is doing. :) Are you going to be in Dothan for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out I am having my second little munchkin....and I keep thinkin' "what if i'm having twins like ruthie." What's weird about that is I don't even know you...yet I can't get you outta my mind (well, the fact that its might be TWINS like yours, at least!)! What a blessing, but what am I (possibly) gonna do with two and a toddler?!?!!

    Anyway, I promise I'm not a stalker. Really. I'm not even that much of a freak. I hope. :) I just relate well to you and think you tell really funny stories :)

    One more thing...I live in Mn and my parents live in Tx. I kind of understand that livin away from your momma feelin'. I cry too...when I'm pregnant. Just can't be helped!

    Glad you are well and the sugar test came back with positive results. Can't wait to see those girl babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your updates - you're so funny. So glad you and David and the babes are doing good.
    BJ

    ReplyDelete

I like your comments.
Mom, keep it clean.
Have a fabtastic day!